Latest Instagrams
Sunday 13 November 2016

Investment Pieces - The Watch

As of next month, I'll be out of my current age box, the 18-25 one, and into the next. The next one being that bit closer to 30. Thirty. Years. Old.

Although I don't feel anywhere near to being 30 mentally (or at least on the way to), one thing that has changed as I'm getting older is the way I buy. Like any girl who has a strong interest in fashion and trends, I used to be guilty of purchasing an inordinate number of clothes and accessories from the high street which reflected these ever-changing seasonal trends. Don't get me wrong, the high street is just the place to do this, letting you test the waters with trend-lead pieces easily and affordably. However it inevitably got to the point where I came to realise just how much I was spending on these items, items I wore once or twice and were of mixed quality.

It was from this view point that moving forward I decided to focus on quality over quantity. Of course I'd still buy the odd trend piece at a killer price, I'd never stop altogether, however I have reassessed just how much I do this. Having worked for a fast-paced online retailer for two years, it was all too easy to buy too much. So much in fact, that I didn't have space to actually store any more. And so from here, I slowly started to get rid of the pieces that I never have/never will wear, either eBaying or taking to the charity shop in order to free up some of my wardrobe space. I also realised that yes, many of the items were cheap to buy, however when buying these in bulk? Not so much. I was spending too much on items which, effectively, didn't last. So I decided to buy fewer, better quality things, whether this was in regards to beauty products, jewellery or accessories. Things that, although would ultimately cost me more upfront, would last far, far longer, and therefore actually make better financial sense. 

So taking this into account I'm going to write a mini blog series on my investment pieces so far, starting with my favourite, my watch.


A good quality watch is probably one of the best, if not the best, accessory you can purchase. This is something you'll be wearing everyday, and, if crafted to a high standard, can last you your whole life. Whilst I completely appreciate that a Rolex or an Omega for example aren't always an option, by saving up that little bit more and buying from a reputable brand, you'll be more than likely saving money in the long run. Swiss brands are always an excellent choice, and my first proper watch I got was actually from Tissot for my graduation gift, costing around £150. It had a lightweight, stainless steel bracelet strap, with a dark, charcoal grey face, classic. I never had any trouble with it, and it went with every outfit and every occasion. Swiss watches are often impeccably made, with excellent craftsmanship going into them.


I researched Rolex models for months before choosing which one to purchase. I looked at face colours, different strap compositions and varying metals. After looking at a number of styles, I decided that I wanted to stick with monochrome, preferably a black face, with a jubilee strap. 

It was here that I came into some difficulty in my search. I looked far and wide and couldn't find one anywhere. They were either ladies, and consequently the face was minuscule, or they were years and years old. As I was looking to buy pre-owned, it was imperative that it came complete with original packaging and authenticity papers. After having no luck whatsoever online, it was then that I decided to go search the stores which I knew sold pre-owned Rolex in Newcastle. As my mum works in the jewellery industry, and has a great knowledge of luxury watches, she was a fantastic help in the search, informing me of where best to look and trustworthy retailers which stocked a good selection. It was because of this that I ended up looking in Market Cross Jewellers in the Metrocentre. It was here that I managed to find just what I was looking for. A Rolex DateJust with a black face and a jubilee strap, complete with original wooden box and authenticity papers. Dated as 1997, it was in impeccable condition, and had clearly not been worn a great deal. The ladies in the store could not have been more helpful, and made the whole purchasing experience a fantastic one.



It's by far my favourite thing I own, and I'm happy to say that I've worn it every single day without fail since buying it, meaning it's cost per wear is next to nothing. I've had so many compliments on it, and I love it just as much now as I did when I first spotted it in the window. I know I'll still be wearing it happily for quite a few years to come...



2 comments:

  1. Wow that looks amazing! Really want to get hold of a nice vintage watch.

    Matt // www.theguyontrend.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Still absolutely in love with it :)

      Delete

Pinterest